First of all, let me just preface this post by saying that this home office makeover took place in 2019 before COVID times.  Before one to two people started working at home full time.  These photos are therefore a reflection of a much calmer, cleaner, more organized space that certainly isn't quite so much any of these things right at the moment.  I have to say, though, it does look really pretty in these photographs and it's nice to remember what it can be when it's at its best.  😏


So back in 2019 we embarked on the bigger than we (and by we, I mean I) realized project of replacing the builder grade flooring throughout the majority of our house.  We added the really nice wood laminate we picked out to the majority of the downstairs and the upstairs hallway and left the bedrooms upstairs carpeted with flooring to be decided on and replaced at a later date.  However, we quickly decided that it would be well worth it to go ahead and continue the flooring from the hallway into our home office.  The picture above is the best before pic I could find.  Normally this room was wall to wall furniture, office supplies, and junk.  It was really hard to believe how much stuff was crammed in there until we took it all out.  Anyways, we already had this nice drum light shade and the one accent wall was painted a dark grey color, which unfortunately, at times, read more purple to me than the intended grey.  As these room makeovers often start for us, what better time to repaint than when the furniture is all moved out?  Also, let's add new baseboards, take off the doors to the closet and add better storage, make a cool accent wall, etc.!  This is why my husband loves me so much. 😆  Sometimes I just get a little carried away.  To start, I created a mood board.  As you can see, it says, "Take 2", which is standard for me because I normally go through a few iterations and even after the iterations, it never ends up exactly as I planned.  




So we (and by we, I mean my husband) began the makeover by installing the new flooring.  That's a portable a/c unit in case you are wondering.  We don't have central A/C because we live in Western Washington and A/C is just not typically utilized more than a couple months a year here.  
Once the flooring was installed, we moved on to the closet.


As I mentioned, we wanted to take off the closet doors and install shelving to make the room seem a bit larger and better organized.  I originally wanted to paint the main accent wall in the room black, but my husband wasn't as keen on it as I was, so we compromised and I painted the closet black instead.  



We purchased two open bookcases from Target to use inside the closet. Putting furniture together is just like Legos, only not quite as fun.


Since black was a no go on the main accent wall, I had another idea.  My husband loves mid century plaid so what better place to add it than the home office?  We ended up using this cool Spoonflower removable wallpaper.  I think it definitely gives the space an old school "study" vibe.  Also, check out our sexy new crisp white baseboards. 


After the wallpaper came the fun part, installation and styling.
I already had this large work surface that my dad helped me build a few years ago.  It's resting on Ikea shelves and is positioned in the center of the room so that my husband and I each have our own separate little desks against the wall, too.  The small desks are where we have our computers situated now.


This is our little visitor's chair situation, which actually now predominantly acts as a kitty napping station.  We got this floor lamp from All Modern and the mid century modern chair from Amazon.  The marigold curtains are from Target.


The rug is from Rugs USA and the desk lamp is from Target.  The Mad Men print is from Etsy.


I purchased this Palm Springs photo from Etsy.  It was downloadable so I just had to print it and frame it.  On the shelf we have this cute little record player so we can enjoy a little Frank Sinatra when the moment feels right.  Ha!

All in all, we are very happy with this room.  Since the pandemic started, I have logged many hours working here and it feels like just the best coziest spot in the world to tackle all of a day's work.  We are very lucky to have our own little office space separate from the rest of the house and we don't take it for granted at all.

Thanks so much for stopping by and checking it out!